Back to Articles
Enhancing fleet management for the utilities sector
Most utilities companies and their contractors now understand the benefits of vehicle tracking, also known as telematics. Three key benefits are the automation of timesheets, providing accurate estimated arrival times to customers, and faster responses to client emergencies.
However, modern telematics can go beyond vehicle tracking to make fleet management even easier when it comes to improving road safety as well as fleet efficiency. Here are five ways that Trakm8 improves fleet management for companies working in the utilities sector:
- Driver behaviour: According to road safety charity, RoSPA, adopting driver behaviour scoring can help vehicle operators reduce accident rates by more than a third. A study by Frost & Sullivan found that driver behaviour can also increase fuel economy by up to 25%.
Trakm8’s technology analyses driver behaviours including speeding, heavy acceleration or over-revving, harsh braking, sharp cornering and engine idling. Combining these factors together we provide a driver score for every journey. Trakm8 also displays driver behaviour events on a snail trail map, enabling fleet managers to identify trends and intervene as required. We also produce an in-cab device that can provide drivers with real-time feedback.
Trakm8 won a competitive tender to fit all of ScottishPower’s HGVs and LCVs with our in-cab driver feedback device. In its first year of use, ScottishPower achieved a 10% increase in fleet fuel economy, a 19% cut in engine idling, and instances of speeding also declined by 13%.
- Dash cams: Deploying dashboard cameras – also known as dash cams – in your vehicles is a highly cost-effective way to improve road safety and protect your company from “crash for cash” fraudsters. Trakm8’s RoadHawk range of dash cams are proven to cut at-fault accident rates by up to 20% and reduce insurance premiums by up to 10%, providing ROI within months of purchase.
ScottishPower has installed Trakm8’s RoadHawk DC-2 forward-facing vehicle camera throughout its fleet.
- Telematics cameras: Telematics cameras combine the benefits of vehicle cameras and telematics in one compact device. Trakm8 is a leading manufacturer of telematics cameras and has won several awards for its RH600, the most advanced 4G telematics camera currently available in the UK.
National utilities contractor T&K Gallagher has installed the Trakm8 RH600 in more than 500 of its light commercial and heavy goods vehicles – and the results have been remarkable. The company cut its vehicle incident rate by 39% and incidences of speeding by 35%; while fuel costs fell substantially due to drivers adopting a smoother driving style.
- Vehicle health: In cars and LCVs, Trakm8’s technology connects to the CAN bus system, which is the “brains” of the vehicle. Through this connectivity, Trakm8 is able to read detailed information about the status of the vehicle and transmit it to fleet managers.
Trakm8 Connectedcare can communicate vital information such as diagnostic trouble codes, dashboard warning lights, tyre pressure and battery health. This enables fleet managers to be more proactive, addressing minor issues before they cause a costly vehicle breakdown or non-start.
- Route optimisation: Route optimisation can deliver substantial savings above and beyond those generated by telematics and vehicle cameras as outlined above. Route optimisation is a great tool for planning operations where vehicles stop at multiple locations each day – service engineers and meter readers are great examples.
Trakm8’s award-winning route optimisation software is proven to increase mobile worker productivity by a third, or reduce total fleet mileage by up to 20%. It can be fully integrated with telematics along with additional solutions such as electronic proof of delivery (ePod).
One of the key advantages of working with Trakm8 is that we design, develop, manufacture and implement all five of the fleet management solutions listed above. You benefit from a single source supplier and a truly integrated, modular solution.
If you would like to find out more about our telematics solutions, fill out the short form below and one of our team will be in touch. Alternatively, call us on 0330 311 5157 or email us at email@example.com.